Yoga comprises of five principles, one of which is meditation. By virtue of meditation, a yoga practitioner focuses his or her mind at one particular point and works towards stilling the mind. Yoni mudra is one of the forms of kriya yoga, which helps one to get completely detached from the outer world.
Yoni Mudra derives its name from the Sanskrit word yoni meaning uterus with reference to the fact that the practitioner assumes the state of the foetus i.e. away from the external world or externalisation of the consciousness. Yoni mudra kriya yoga not only has the yogis visualise each chakra, but also pay attention to their inner consciousness or sounds, which is otherwise known as mystic sounds. Ancient scriptures on yoga claim that people, who are right-handed, will hear the sounds in their right ear and those, who are left-handed, will hear the sounds in their left ear. The posture that is recommended for Yoni Mudra Kriya Yoga is the siddhasana as it is considered best in sealing the lower apertures.
If siddhasana is not possible, one may try the padmasana. It is after the yogi has assumed the posture that he or she seals the upper apertures.
Here is how the Yoni Mudra Kriya Yoga is performed:
- To start with, keep your back straight and put the thumbs in the ears to close the ear holes.
- Close the eyelids by placing the tips of the index finger on them. If the eyes feel as if pressed excessively hard, try drawing the eyelid down using the index fingers.
- Push the middle fingers on either side of the nostrils.
- Press lips together with the remaining fingers.
- While you are meditating, release the middle fingers while inhaling and exhaling.
Concentration is key to doing the Yoni Mudra Kriya Yoga and once you do it successfully, it enhances the concentration levels and relieves stress. Remember that if meditation is practised the way it should be, it helps one relax and maintain mental clarity. To get started, find yourself a comfortable place where you can practice the yoga asana. Once everything is set, meditate yourself to a rejuvenated day ahead.
Image source: Getty